Friday, April 6, 2012

Starting to Show

  Lack of sleep is not so much a problem when passions and excitement are high. Today is the day that we all gather to see the culmination of my sister's college career. She has blossomed in ways that surprised even those of us closest to her. We always knew she was smart, gifted and determined... but none of seem to have been aware of the vast artistic potential that had been lying dormant all those years. Being on her own has brought her to a place of personal discovery and awakening.... something that will be on display in just over an hour now, by way of her senior show. A gallery installation of her best works of the past four years.

   Four years.

   How have four years passed by so quickly? How is she about to graduate from college? How am I a wife and stay-at-home-mom/writer? Just yesterday we were both living under one roof together with our parents just itching to get out. And now we long for those few and far between moments we get to share together, This afternoon for example, will be especially sweet.

   So here I sit in my room at the visitors center typing away on my laptop as my toddler eats pasta next door with Grandma and Umpa... contemplating my fourth cup of coffee even though I know that without it my joy will carry me through the rest of the day on in to the evening. It's likely that I'll cave anyways and then succumb to the inevitable jitters. But then I will have something to blame my trembling on when outsiders look upon the overly excited look in my eyes as I struggle to not tear up. And something to point a finger at when my hands begin fidgeting ,because, you know, it's not socially acceptable to jump up and down, squealing like a little girl at a professional gallery showing.

  I woke up at 6 am and need coffee to calm myself... and that is alright by me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...