Friday, June 17, 2011

Small Town U.S.A.

Well, it's official. We are now small town people. Small town people living in a big (to us) house! And I have to say it feels good.

It feels good to look outside my window and see people walking their dogs, taking a brisk jog in the morning air or pulling their young ones behind them in a wagon down the communal sidewalk... and smiling at each other as they pass. Waving to one another, sometimes even stopping to say hi and chat about the recent graduation ceremonies held for the class of 2011, a whopping 5 kids! ...though I do have to do a little fact checking on that one, we are still new and I'm basing this data on a print-out congratulations flier posted at the one and only chain fast-food establishment in town.

And can I just say, thank God that it is a Subway and not a McDonalds.

Amen to that!

We even woke up our first morning in our new home to the sound of the doorbell. It was, no joke, our next door neighbor with a homemade loaf of raisin bread welcoming us to town. I didn't think those things happened anymore outside of TV and movies. I literally pinched myself.

We have a front porch and a back deck, a fenced in backyard, a soon-to-be pumpkin patch, a laundry room, a garage and most importantly we have our own room once again!! It's such a major relief, and though moving is not easy per-say, and though I'm not going to even try to pretend I'm not tired and slightly overwhelmed... it all feels good. Yes, even the tiredness has that "I'm tired because I've expended all of my energy on something entirely worth it" edge to it which makes it precious somehow. Because soon the newness will wear off and I will long for the type exhaustion I am feeling in this moment.


It is a special variety this fatigue, and I am grateful for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...